Mr Campbell is our class teacher and our teaching assistants are; Mrs McLean, Mrs Lee and Mrs Best. We hope you have all had a lovely summer holiday and are as excited as we are to be starting a new school year at Mosscroft Primary School.
On behalf of Year 3 & 4, we would like to welcome you to our page on the school website. Here you can find important information and see us in action; learning, exploring and working hard.
Homework is an essential part of your child’s learning, children are expected to read every day and complete a Maths and Spelling activity each week. We are more than happy to help children if they need further instruction before homework is due to be returned, Homework will be given out on a Friday and must be returned on the following Wednesday. Remember you don’t want to miss out on getting a dojo point!
PE will take place every week on Monday & Thursday. Please ensure your child has their full kit in school on these days in order to be prepared for the lesson.
Children will have a music lesson every Tuesday with a specialist music teacher.
Top Tips for Year 3 & 4 Parents
*Read with your child.
*Discuss the meaning of the text.
*Keep practicing times tables at any available time.
*Year 3 children should focus on their 3,4 and 8x tables in particular.
*Practice using maths in real-life situations e.g. reading timetables, money and telling the time.
*Make sure you child goes to sleep at a reasonable time.
*Practice their spellings with them, help children to find the best strategy for them.
*Read, write and order numbers to ten thousand
*Compare and round numbers to ten thousand
*Partition numbers and recognise the value of digit based on its place
Number – addition and subtraction
*Add and subtract numbers mentally
* add and subtract numbers up to 4 digits using formal written methods
* Estimate the answer to a calculation and use the inverse to check answers
* Solve problems including missing number problems, using number facts and more complex addition and subtraction
* Solve addition and subtraction 2 step problems
During this term we will be focusing on writing play scripts and creating biogrophies. We will be using the story of Fantastic Mr Fox by Rohl Dahl to explore these text types.
IPC – Living together
The big idea We all belong to many different communities – family, friends, sports teams, activity groups, etc. However, there is one thing that every community has in common – people. We must learn how to respect, support and work with other people if we hope to become valuable contributors to the communities that we are a part of
In Geography we’ll be finding out:
- How our school meets the needs of the community
- About the buildings and services in our local area
- About communities in a different country
- How to identify the places and areas of interest in our local area
In History, we’ll be finding out:
- About the history of our school and its community
- About someone who has been significant to the local community
- About a historical event that has had an impact on a community
In Art, we’ll be finding out:
- How to make a community sculpture for the school
- How to represent ideas about community through art
In International, we’ll be finding out:
- About different community celebrations around the world
Learning In Action
In the Autumn Term we have been learning about Health and Nutrition and the Skeletal and Muscular System.
We sorted types of animals into herbivores, carnivores and omnivores.
We began looking at the Skeletal system by making a human skeleton out of dog bone biscuits. We discussed the pros and cons of using these biscuits, and then compared what we thought the human skeleton looked like to what it actually looked like. We then used Diamond Ranking to rank bones by importance.